This 1633 portrait by Spanish court painter Diego Velazquez is of Prince Baltasar Carlos (1629-1646) who was the son of King Phillip IV of Spain and his first wife, Isabel de Bourbon.
- Prince Baltasar Carlos is about three years old in this painting
- He would live to just 16 years of age, dying of illness
- Velazquez painted this at 34 years of age
- The prince is wearing a silver formal outfit with a pink sash
- One of a number of portraits of the prince, especially equestrian portraits
- Holding a wooden staff in his right hand
- Commissioned by his father Philip IV of Spain, also known as the Planet King (1621-1665)
Diego Velazquez’s Prince Baltasar Carlos in Silver can be found in the Wallace Collection in London.