Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788) was an English landscape painter and portraitist and was one of the leading painters in 18th century Europe.
Thomas Gainsborough Summary:
- He was born and raised in Suffolk, England to John, a weaver, and Mary, a sister of Reverend Humphry Burroughs.
- The house he spent his childhood in is now known as Gainsborough House and is home to some of his works.
- He was known to be a fast painter.
- Most of his portraits take place in nature to showcase his ability to paint incredible landscapes.
- He was a founding member of the Royal Academy of Arts in London.
Thomas Gainsborough’s Famous Paintings:
- Mr. and Mrs. Andrews (1750)
- Mrs. Richard Brinley Sheridan (1787)
- Portrait of the Artist with his Wife and Daughter (ca. 1748)
- Going to Market, Early Morning (1773)
- Portrait of Giovanna Baccelli (1782)
- The Painter’s Daughters Chasing a Butterfly (1756)