Lawrence Alma-Tadema (1836-1912) was a Dutch-British painter who specialized in depictions of the luxurious side of classical antiquity.
Lawrence Alma-Tadema Summary:
- He was born Laurens Tadema but adapted his name to the English spelling Lawrence.
- In order for his name to appear at the top of exhibition publications, he inserted Alma into his surname.
- Alma-Tadema originally planned to be a lawyer but decided to pursue art after a health complication.
- He studied at the Royal Academy of Antwerp where he garnered several awards.
- He took the criticism seriously and considered it a way to improve his skills and prowess in painting.
Lawrence Alma-Tadema Famous Paintings:
- Spring (undated)
- A Coign of Vintage (1895)
- A Favorite Custom (1909)
- Ask Me No More (1906)
- The Roses of Heliogabalus (1888)
- The Finding of Moses (1904)