Plautilla Nelli (1524-1588) was an Italian nun and Renaissance artist.
Plautilla Nelli Summary:
- She is the first known female Renaissance artist.
- She was influenced by the teachings of Savonarola and the art of Fra Bartolomeo.
- She established an all-women painting class in her convent and taught other sisters to paint.
- Her rendition of the Last Supper boasts particular attention to detail including facial expressions and body language.
- It took 450 years for her Last Supper to be discovered and underwent restoration in 2017.
Plautilla Nelli Famous Paintings:
- The Last Supper (ca. 1550)
- Saint Catherine of Siena (undated)
- Annunciation (undated)
- Saint Dominic Receives the Rosary (undated)
- Madonna Addolorota (ca. 1550)
- Lamentation with Saints (1569)